BY JILL WOOLFORD

Tuesday 1 December 2009

guilty pleasures

oooh this is the title for me! for a start pleasures is plural meaning that im allowed more than one though i am unsure as to whether i should be revealing my naughty habits! now wine and cheese have always been a pleasure for me and when i have finished gorging myself all night i feel incredibly guilty so i suppose they are the perfect items to write about.

you may have noticed that i have used the word 'gorging' and that hardly brings up the usual image of a food and drink connoisseur. well that's because i am most certainly definitely not! those people who can nibble at pieces of cheese, sip wine and discuss things like full bodied texture, oakey tastes and smokey overtones are a complete mystery to me. for a start my one good taste bud only picks up the most obvious of flavours and i have never and will never figure out why you would want to taste something you like and then spit it out! i mean really! what an incredible waste!

now i have finished my rant i should own up to the fact that i do not eat a range of cheeses neither do i sip various wines, like i mentioned before i only have the one taste bud and it only enjoys mature cheddar cheese, that's it, nothing else at all! the same goes for the wine, i am a woman of serious habit and once i have found something i like i stick to it like my life depends on it! a chardonnay is as exotic as i get and although i may push myself and try different makes from time to time i generally go to the same shop, to the same shelf, to the same bottle! now that's a lie because its never the one bottle! (oops major confession there)

now the guilt part of my pleasure in wine and cheese is the amount i can go through! i will sit of an evening, please note this is after my tea, and i will gulp my way through usually two bottles of wine and a very very large piece of cheese. sometimes i will even dip the cheese in salt as i am a serious lover of salt! (oops confession number two!) my only saving grace is that i do not do this every evening and the baby is in bed so she does not have to watch her mother clog her arteries and pickle her liver!

i would like to point out as i finish that i am not an alcoholic and i do not get drunk and fall asleep face down in a big plate of cheese. i will however agree that i do over indulge on occasion and if you thought long and hard about your guilty pleasures you would have to admit to that too!

3 comments:

  1. this one is for josies writing workshop, a little extra fun xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel slightly guiltier than usual about my guilty pleasure right now, because I read in the doctors last week, that if you share a bottle of wine with yr partner most nights, then you are drinking excessively... NOw I will happily admit to sharing a bottle of wine with Duncan most nights ( my saving grace being he is only home for half the month...) but we NEVER only manage to drink one bottle, maybe as an appetiser.... It's a wake up call i tell you, now where is that corkscrew?!!xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. You dip your cheese in SALT??! (Although can sympathise - I grated some cheese for tea and ate most of it by the time I'd finished cooking!!) And :-O to the wine honey, my god I'd be hallucinating cheese if I drank that much!!
    Josie xx

    ReplyDelete